Weekly Devotion May 6, 2024


This Devotion was written by Sportsmen Devotional and posted with permission

Bible Study Verse: Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. (NASB1995) 

Thoughts: Last month I had a half day off on a Saturday. No commitments, no to do list, and no work. So naturally I loaded up my kayak, pole, and tackle and hit the lake. Kayak fishing for Crappie is one of my favorite things to do on the water. I’ve always been a fan of using the simplest equipment to get out on the water. The peace of not having a motor, fish finder, or any other electronics when on the water is second to none. On top of that, the rush of hooking up to a smaller fish that can put up a fight is a total blast. This time I got skunked. Not even a bite. So, I paddled around and explored the lake shore for anything unusual. I happened to find a large piece of driftwood that I thought was unique, so I brought it home and showed my wife. She loved it so much that she put it on display as a centerpiece in our dining room. Naturally, when I see driftwood, I don’t see much. Just a dead remnant of something that used to be alive and thriving. That’s not what my wife (an artist) saw though. There’s beauty in something that has been through so much weathering. 

Action Point: Have you ever thought that because you have messed up in your life that God can’t use you to make something beautiful? Maybe like driftwood, something you have done in the past makes you feel dead, rotten, or decayed. There is healing waiting for you. Jesus died and rose from the grave to pay for your and my sins. His blood truly washes away ALL of our sins. Past. Present. Future. Praise God that we no longer have to hang our heads in shame for our past sins. We are constantly reminded in the Bible, that God used many broken people to accomplish His plan. How can you let God use you today despite the things you have done? 

Sportsman’s Tip of the Day: Before getting in your kayak, make sure all your gear is secured. Bungees are your best friend here