Weekly Devotion July 8 2024


This Devotion was written by Sportsmen Devotional and posted with permission

Bible Study Verse: Genesis 39:6-12 So, Potiphar left everything he had in Joseph's care; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate. Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!" But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?" And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her. One day he went into the house to attend to his duties, and none of the household servants was inside. She caught him by his cloak and said, "Come to bed with me!" But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house. NIV. 

Thoughts: Sometimes, there are temptations for us as outdoorsmen: I could catch over the creel limit and take a few extra fish home. I could easily slip across the property line and get closer to the gobbling tom. No one would know if I shot the buck from the public road out my truck window. I don’t need to buy a license for one day; after all, I am on my friend’s property, and no one will catch me. An extra wood duck over the limit—who would suspect? 

Action Point: In today's Bible study verse, Joseph demonstrated a practical approach to resisting temptation. He ran, got out as quickly as possible, and removed himself from the situation. This is an excellent example for all of us. Whatever the scenario, the best plan is to remove yourself from tempting situations. If you know there will be a tempting situation, avoid it at all costs. This sensible advice can be applied to our lives and outdoor activities, helping us make ethical choices. 

Sportsman’s Tip of the Day: Ask permission to enter private property. If you have heard a turkey gobbling across the property line, seen an attractive fishing hole, watched a big buck from a roadway, or seen ducks flying into a particular place, contact the landowner. Face-to-face conversations with landowners are always better, as you can show courtesy and politeness. You will be denied access at times, but on the flip side, you will be surprised at how many landowners will give you the go-ahead.