Weekly Devotion September 7 2026


This Devotion was written by Sportsmen Devotional and posted with permission

Bible Study Verse: Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. NIV.

Thoughts: Turkey hunters spend a lot of time chasing spring gobblers, myself included. We think about it long before the season opens. We get up early mornings for pre-season scouting and listening to locate gobblers to hunt. And when the season arrives, we’re obsessed. We scout, put out trail cameras, burn vacation days at work, drive many miles, and do whatever it takes to try to fill our tags for the monarch of the spring—we put in the effort, and it’s our primary focus during the season. If you’re not a turkey hunter, you can swap turkey hunting for whatever your passion might be: deer, elk, duck, or pheasant hunting; maybe it’s fly fishing, camping, hiking, or any outdoor passion you enjoy. The point is, we focus on what we love to do.

Action Point: I often ask myself whether I am hunting for Jesus with more passion and focus than I devote to my outdoor obsessions. Do I put in the time for prayer, reading scripture, and strengthening my relationship with Him? Do I have a greater desire to please Christ through service and obedience than to chase worldly things? The Lord has gifted us with the blessing of enjoying all things outdoors, but we must keep our focus on Him and not replace it with a focus on the things He has given us.

Sportsman’s Tip of the Day: I learned that one thing that helps me stay focused on the Lord while spending time outdoors is bringing His Word with me. I have a Bible app on my smartphone that I use all the time. I’ve taken screenshots of several scriptures and saved them to my photos for times when there is no service. I’m thinking about buying a waterproof camouflage Bible. There’s one I see online that is the New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs, and it costs under $25. That would make a good gift for any outdoorsman–hint, hint