Weekly Devotion October 5 2026
This
Devotion was written by Sportsmen Devotional and posted with permission
Bible Study Verse: Psalm 63:1 "O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; my soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land without water."
Thoughts: As outdoorsmen, we tend to accumulate a lot of gear. From season-to-season different gear is needed, and it always seems to be the gear you can't find. Turkey calls, rangefinders, gloves, or some other random piece of gear always seem to be the one thing I can't find when I need it. Of course, the blame is always placed on my wife for moving my stuff; then I find it right where I left it, so I wouldn't lose it. The older I get, the more time it seems that I spend backtracking and wandering all over, attempting to find something that I have lost. And, if you're like me, the more time I spend looking, the more frustrated and determined I become to find it!
Action Point: There are too many times I find myself wandering from God. Like a piece of gear, I might "leave Him" at church, Bible study, or at my personal devotional time. I don't worry about the fact that God is not in my workspace, entertainment, hunting, or even my time of relaxing. I figure I will "find Him later." I have become comfortable with Him being away from me until I find myself in great need of Him. When I am missing an important piece of gear needed for a hunt, I will desperately hunt for it. I will look in every room, every corner, and every single place I can think of until I find it. But when God seems distant, do I earnestly seek after Him? Psalm 63:1, David says, "O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; my soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land without water."
Sportsman’s Tip of the Day: I recently washed and cleaned all of my deer hunting clothes and gear, and have stored them away in plastic bins till next year. On the outside of each bin, I will place a piece of duct tape or a label and write on it every piece of gear that is in that bin. This saves me a lot of time when I am looking for that one item I need.
